Is CGMS for Me?
There are many Montessori Training Centers. Why should you choose CGMS to become a Montessori Teacher?
The first thing to understand is that we don't think our program is right for everyone.
If you are uncomfortable sitting at a computer, CGMS isn’t for you. Our program does require between 10 and 15 hours of a week (depending on your study habits) much of which would be spent using our Internet resources.
Our Early Childhood program lasts 18 months, and our Elementary program lasts 28 months. Each of these is a bit longer than some Montessori training center courses. This allows for a comprehensive study of Montessori theory and practice at a pace that is reasonable and manageable for students to complete while attending to other life commitments. If you cannot commit to an 18 month program, then we will not be the best choice for you.
If you are unsure whether you want to become a Montessori teacher and just want an overview, the Montessori Foundation offers better (and shorter) courses for that purpose. However we hope you will consider us if you are looking to apply Montessori theory in the classroom with real children.
The first Primarily Distance Early Childhood Training Program With MACTE Certification
In 2009 CGMS’ Early Childhood Full Certificate program became the first MACTE recognized blended learning Montessori teacher certification program. MACTE, an accreditation body recognized by the US Department of Education. MACTE exists to accredit Montessori training programs that meet specific standards. Many US and Canadian Montessori schools require their teachers to hold a certificate from a MACTE accredited Teacher Education Program. Please see this link for a list of CGMS accredited residential program locations. Note that not all locations are offered each summer, and that not all locations are accredited for different levels.
The CGMS training program has been carefully designed to combine the best practices of over a century of Montessori training with the most up-to-date e-learning techniques. The result is an authentic program unlike any other.
Before you choose a distance training program, we hope you will look for these features:
- Is the program going to be respected by employers? CGMS has earned a strong reputation based on our commitment to quality.
- Is the program going to be lonely? We don’t simply provide you with Montessori albums that describe how to give lessons. In our program you will be learning in collaboration with other students in a cohort group. An Instructional Guide and a Field Consultant will be discussing material with you and providing feedback and advice.
- Is an internship required? A program that does not require an internship may be easier, and it may do a fine job with teaching theory. But without an internship very few Montessorians – or teachers of any stripe – would consider someone prepared for the classroom. All CGMS certification courses require a 9 month pracitcum/internship in a Montessori classroom. The online coursework continues through the internship phase connecting course content to the daily life of the classroom. This provides the essential concrete experience that prepares learners to lead classrooms and make a difference in the lives of children and families.
- Will your assignments be reviewed? Self-study programs are fine for some activities, particularly those where it is easy to self-correct. Mathematics is an example of this kind of program; there is a right answer that can be easily verified. But to prepare for the complexities of the classroom we feel strongly that self-study is entirely inadequate. For this reason our students receive extensive feedback from our instructors as well as from other students.
- Will they provide you with enough material? CGMS is fundamentally committed to quality instruction. Instead of a few DVDs, we provide literally hundreds and hundreds of hours of video instruction online. Students have both an Instructional Guide and a Field Consultant in order to ensure that they receive the support and feedback they need to properly absorb the material. Students discuss subjects with each other in their cohort group.
There is much, much more to becoming a Montessori teacher than knowing the mechanical steps in each lesson. Unlike other distance training programs, CGMS combines deep theoretical and practical knowledge, including:
- Montessori Philosophy
- Child development
- Techniques for observation and record keeping
- Advanced coursework including music and working with special needs children
(Click here for a complete list of our curriculum material.)
CGMS offers two tiers of training. Full Certificate students attend a two and a half week training program in addition to their Montessori distance learning component.
CGMS Associate Certificate students can, either during their course of study or for up to five years after, upgrade to the Full Certificate by attending the summer sessions. This unique feature of the CGMS program means that you can begin your training now, when you can’t leave home, and then upgrade to the Full Certificate when your schedule improves.
CGMS personnel work closely with you and your school to make sure that your program is going as well as possible. Please give us a call today at 888-344-7897 to discuss your needs or to allow us to answer questions you might have.The Montessori method CGMS accreditation Our curriculum Our technology Sample materials
In this section
Find out more about the Montessori method of education
Learn about CGMS’ accreditation
Discover our use of technology
Explore our samples materials our online learning environment
Thank-you so much for all that you do to make CGMS possible!
Janine and I absolutely loved the summer session! It was such a valuable experience to work with the instructors in person. All were such masters of their craft. Cathie has been an amazing resource for us, providing us with resources even after the session has ended. Thanks to this training, we feel prepared to start this school year… Thank-you so much for all that you do to make CGMS possible. I sincerely appreciate what CGMS has done for education in our region and I am loving every minute of the training!
Felipa Gaudent, Hyde Park, NY