What are the organizations that accredit CGMS?
Not all of our programs are accredited, but those that are have received accreditation from one or both of the International Montessori Council (IMC), or the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE). At the bottom of this page you will see a precise list of which of our programs have received accreditation from which organizations.
Is your organization accredited by AMS?
No, CGMS is affiliated with another organization, the IMC. More on the IMC may be found below. However, AMS does recognize our Full certificate graduates as eligible to lead classrooms. Schools may be eligible for Full AMS Accreditation if they employ teachers from any MACTE accredited teacher education program, as long as 50% of the teachers and the head of school maintain an AMS membership. In North America most schools look for teachers from a MACTE accredited teacher education program, though there are some which prefer either AMI or AMS trained teachers.
What is MACTE?
The Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE) is recognized by the US Department of Education (USDOE) as the accrediting agency of Montessori Teacher Education programs. MACTE accredits Montessori training programs that meet specific standards, which MACTE calls the Essential Standards and Criteria (ESC). These standards were developed in consensus with the major professional Montessori societies. Many US and Canadian Montessori schools require their teachers to hold certificate from a MACTE accredited Teacher Education Program.
- MACTE www.macte.org Address: 108 Second St. S.W. Suite 7, Charlottesville, Virginia 22901 Phone : (434) 202-7793 Fax : (888) 535-8838 Email : info@MACTE.org
What is the IMC?
The International Montessori Council (IMC) is a world-wide umbrella organization of Montessori schools and the persons who lead them, own them, or serve on their boards. A non-profit organization that provides information and support to schools and educators, the IMC guidelines call for their recognized teacher education programs to meet and exceed the standards of national accreditation organizations for Montessori education. All IMC programs in North America are required to seek MACTE accreditation.
- IMC www.montessori.org Address: 19600 E State Road 64, Bradenton, FL 34212-8921 Phone : (941) 729-9565 Fax : (941) 745-3111 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
None of professional development courses run by the Center for Guided Montessori Studies are accredited by any agency. No Associate Certificates are MACTE accredited.
All teacher certification programs offered by CGMS are recognized by IMC. The following clarifies which programs have obtained MACTE accreditation as of August 2017.
The following programs have received MACTE accreditation.
- Primary Full Certification Program, New Albany, IN-MACTE Accredited Primary Full Certification Program, Sarasota, FL – MACTE Accredited Primary Full Certification Program, Cary, NC-MACTE Accredited
- Primary Full Certification Program, Fountain Valley, CA – MACTE Accredited
- Primary Full Certification Program, Tulsa, OK – MACTE Accredited Primary Full Certification Program, Brooklyn, NY – MACTE Accredited Primary Full Certification Program, Chantilly, VA – MACTE Accredited
- Elementary Full Certification Program, New Albany, IN-MACTE Accredited Elementary Full Certification Program, Sarasota, FL-MACTE Accredited Elementary Full Certification Program, Cary, NC-MACTE Accredited
- Elementary Full Certification Program, Fountain Valley, CA – MACTE Accredited
- Elementary I-II Full Certification Program, Tulsa, OK – MACTE Accredited Elementary I-II Full Certification Program, Chantilly, VA-MACTE Accredited
- Infant/Toddler Full Certification Program, Chantilly, VA – MACTE Accredited
- Infant/Toddler Full Certification Program, Sarasota, FL – MACTE Accredited
We have submitted applications to MACTE to accredit the following locations:
Secondary Full Certification, Sarasota, FL – MACTE Applicant in Good Standing *Applicant in Good Standing indicates we have begun the initial application process.“Applicant in Good Standing” status in no way determines the outcome of the accreditation decision by MACTE. The MACTE Office will monitor the progress of the TEP’s writing progress to ensure a timely submission of the Self-Study within two years of the application.
We have not, nor do we expect to apply for MACTE accreditation for the following programs.
- Infant/Toddler Associate Certification program
- Primary Associate Certification program Elementary Associate Certification program
- Secondary associate Certification program Professional Development Courses – Neither IMC recognized nor MACTE Accredited